Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Which battle?

I apologize for not writing yesterday :/ I was getting ready for my job interview that was this morning! haha Please keep me in your prayers and pray for favor so I can get the job ;)

Anyways, lately has been kind of crazy, without going into details. The Lord has been testing my self-control(to say the least!), during the past couple weeks, my flesh has so wanted to fight these people who are coming against me, and trying to insult me. But as I was praying and I felt peace, I felt like the Lord was saying to choose my battles wisely, and consequently, this was not one of them. I mean I was involved in sticking up for myself and making sure the truth was put out there, but this was not a battle where I constantly needed to retaliate anytime they do or say something new.

I think this is a very valuable lesson that we can all learn from, we can't allow everything to get to us. I know many of us are short-fused, in which we seem to get more worked up, more often. But I want to challenge you to pick your battles wisely! We also need to understand, that not everyone will always like you, nor will they always be nice. In life, we will come across people from all different stages in life, different personalities, and different cultures, and sometimes we just don't mesh with certain people. Not that we should not like people if we don't mesh well, we still need to love them as our brother/sister in Christ! Just because you may not get along doesn't mean that you can't show love and compassion, just like Jesus did. Don't let the little things get to you, they honestly are not worth it. You will end up finding yourself irritated, annoying, and emotional.

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you."
-Luke 6:27-28

During many of the issues with people we come against, we sometime feel the urge to prove them wrong, or show them that we're better. Is it really worth it? Ask yourself if you getting involved and feeling as if you have something to prove, really worth the time and effort? In the situation I found myself in, I realized that all they want to do is get a reaction out of me. So if they do something, and i blow up on facebook or gossip about them, then they win the battle. They are wanting me to get frustrated and retaliate, but since I chose this not the be a battle I'll fight, you can find me quiet not saying a word to them. Because the more I appear to let it phase me, the more it makes them want to do something more. We must learn from the battles placed before us, we need to understand that sometimes it may get annoying not to say something back, but we need to practice self-control.

I remember growing up and always feeling like I had to get the last word, and once I started texting, I ALWAYS had to get the last text. Don't ask me why, because I have no idea why, I just know that I would stay up super late just so I could get the last text or word. Which was completely ridiculous! This is just like conversations with those people that may get on your nerves, you cannot always get the last word, sometimes you just need to walk away, regardless if you get to say something. Because many times it's not worth it, the argument is not always your argument to fight.

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse...Live in harmony with one another. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord...Do not be overcome by evil,but overcome evil with good."
-Romans 12:14-16a, 17-19, 21

Remember to choose your battles wisely, don't get yourself involved in drama that is unnecessary!!!

**Thanks Christy for the lists of verses, you helped me out!

3 comments:

  1. Nice B, here is a scripture I just love: "The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."-Exodus 14:14

    I understand what it is like to HAVE to choose you battles wisely..God is so good in the sense that He will honor you back if you put Him first. He gives us this peace, confidence, assurance and the ability to feel satisified with Him working it out rather than ourselves. Lord knows I would probably only make it worse if I let my flesh take over, and whats worse is I would probably let God down..I never want to do that by choice to satisfy my flesh.
    xo
    kristina avila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of u and what ur doing with this blog! u keep spreading it! daily battles picking and choosing is always a must def lovin the scriptures!!!
    -lisa<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super duper job & no problem :) You've been handling everything so well lately..God's being glorified!

    ReplyDelete